Tuesday 18 May 2010

Glitter Pizzas: Introducing the Glitzer

All you need for a Glitzer is a pizza base, all the
toppings, and a star-shaped cookie cutter for
stamping out the salami slices.
'Isn't that a bit camp?' asked my teen son when I handed him the pizza in this photograph.

'Well, of course it is,' said I, crustily. I was cheesed off that he didn't find my Glitzer beautiful and frivolous.

This is such a silly idea that I can't resist sharing it with you.

At my daughter's birthday sleep-over party a week ago, the girls assembled their own pizzas, using my home-made dough and a selection of interesting toppings.

In a last-minute burst of inspiration, I reached for the tube of edible cake glitter I'd bought to decorate Ellie's cupcakes.

The pizzas looked so festive and twinkly by lamplight, as did the girls, who had sparkles all over their faces and hair.

I'm frustrated that this daylight snap doesn't capture the flash of the finished product.

Edible cake glitter is expensive, but a little goes a long way.

By lamp- or candle-light, these pizzas look as if Tinkerbell has flitted from olive to olive, swishing her wand to share the twinkles.

Glitter Pizzas: introducing the Glitzer
How to do this: Make your pizzas in the normal way, but use a star-shaped cookie cutter to stamp out salami shapes. Cook the pizzas, then sprinkle the glitter over the toppings as soon as they come out of the oven.

Postscript, 8 May 2012: The UK Food Standards Agency has recently issued guidelines about the use of about edible glitter, in response to consumer concerns.







Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly

9 comments:

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

what a great idea!

Kit said...

Perfect for a girly sleepover! Maybe not for a teen boys sleepover but then they can make their own too.

Nina Timm said...

my word, that is such a novel idea....mind if I play cpoy cat for my little one's birthday??

Jane-Anne said...

I would be so flattered if you copied this Nina, and photographed it in your normal and amazing style. x

Koek! said...

Heehee – I think you should call it the Tinkerbell Pizza...

dining room tables said...

This is a nice idea of yours! I love it! Thanks for sharing.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This is such a fun idea for our little princesses.

Chocolatesa said...

Wow! The Evil Glitter Fairy loves this!!!! I must get my hands on some cake glitter!!!

marietjie@swart.co.nz said...

it is such a wonderful idea for little girls. I also love those star salami's on top of the pizza